My year got a little turned upside down in the middle, and my priorities had to shift to accommodate, but here's a look back on my goals and what I actually DID accomplish from the list!
New Words, New Manuscripts:
On the New Words/New Manuscripts side, I met with a couple of challenges.
- One: I had to rewrite the second half of Helen2, which was my first (unnamed) project. So I wrote it, wrapped it by May, then needed to go back and rewrite/add-on the last 50K words or so. It was unexpected, for sure, but definitely for the best, and I'm really pleased with the end result, even if it wasn't what I had initially planned.
- Two: I needed to come up with a brand new project that I was not at all expecting. Sometimes the market turns, and I kind of had to scramble. But I found my new project, ultimately, and I'm excited to be writing it (and also omg want to be done writing it so much!) AND this meant bumping Orc3 to next year's docket, because deadlines. It also meant that I wrote no shorter fiction at all this year. Though I *did* start a contemporary romance, for funsies, as a much needed break after Helen2 which also kind of came out of nowhere.
- Three: the floors. In January, I don't think I ever could have anticipated the flooring project of doom. It left us -- quite unsettled for some time. (We're only just starting to unpack our books NOW, for some context.)
All that said and put aside, I am happy to report that I wrote over 221,000 words in 2015. (151,000+ of those words were Helen2, which did not all end up in the final product, of course, but that manuscript was a very significant portion of my year!) That averages out to about 22K a month for the 10 months I was actively writing (never without interruption, sadly). I'd like to do better next year, I think, and bump that average up to at least 30K, but I feel pretty good about this year's output, all the same, particularly when taking into account all the editing and production work I did alongside it.
Which brings us to the Editing/Revising/Releasing section, where I accomplished everything that I'd expected to need to do, with a successful release of HELEN OF SPARTA and BLOOD OF THE QUEEN. I'm nearly through the edit process for BY HELEN'S HAND as well, for her release next year! I've got two more projects in production, too -- one of which is the aforementioned new project that I had to scramble to find for myself, and the second is too up in the air for me to say anything more about at the moment. But hopefully there will be more to tell, soon!
All in all, I think it was a solid year. And before the month is out, I'll have a post for this year's goals, too!
Amazon | Barnes&Noble