In celebration of Fate Forgotten, and all the the ThorLove within, let me share with you my Top 5 favorite Thors!
|Ultimate Thor, complete with earrings and beer bottle!
Ultimate Thor made Thor relevant to me and the modern world in a way that captivated me. It wasn't until I read The Ultimates that I really felt any connection or understanding of Thor at all. But suddenly, there he was, trying to save the whales and the environment and the world, and it just RESONATED. Hippy, Tree-Hugging Thor. It made so much sense to high-school-me, and it was BECAUSE of this reinterpretation of Thor's character that I started looking for Thor's other incarnations, within Marvel and without. Ultimate Thor is the source of all my ThorLove.
2) Mythological Thor
Because he is so much more complex than he at first appears. From his relationship with Loki, to his role as the god of the Everyman, the god of the Peasant, to his position as Guardian for the Aesir, Asgard, and humanity. He is fascinating, and the more I read of the myths and the sagas, the more I really appreciate why he was so beloved to the Norse.
3) JMS's Thor
4) Marvel's Movieverse Thor
Chris Hemsworth embodies Thor so perfectly it boggles the mind. And his gentle affection for Jane, his love of his friends, even at his most arrogant -- it's heart-melting. The shirtless Thor shot doesn't hurt either, if I'm being honest. When Hemsworth was first cast, I wasn't 100% sure of him -- I must have rewatched the first 15 minutes of New Trek a dozen times just to reassure myself that he had the POTENTIAL. He was so skinny! But I can't imagine anyone else cast in the role, now, and the first movie did a fantastic job of translating the comic and Thor to the live action screen. Here's hoping Thor: The Dark World doesn't disappoint, either!
5) Thor from Fate of the Gods, of course!
And I hope that you'll love him, too!
Some other Thor incarnations you might love, (just) outside of my top 5:
- Thor in Thor: The Mighty Avenger -- the first issue of which I'll be giving away to one lucky ThorLove bloghop participant! The art is so expressive it is ridiculously amazing.
- Thor in Age of Odin by James Lovegrove (Norse gods, Ragnarok, and Sci Fi military battles of win!)
- Thor the bear in Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman (Odin and Loki are along for the ride, too.)
- Thor from Thor's Wedding Day by Bruce Coville (it's a chapter book for kids, told from the perspective of Thjalfi! What's not to love?!)
- Thor in Gods of Asgard by Erik Evensen (the art alone is worth it!)
Thanks so much for participating in the ThorLove bloghop -- I hope that you've found some new Thors to appreciate along the way! Don't forget to check out everyone else's favorite Thor posts over the next few days, and of course, pick up FATE FORGOTTEN if you want more of my particular brand of ThorLove! Also check out ST Bende's ELSKER SAGA for some step-son of Thor action, and a really fascinating take on Thor, himself!
Don't forget to read the other #ThorLove Bloghop participant entries! And there's still time to join in on the fun!